If you want to heal your thyroid, you need to examine your gut!
I’m joined by the wonderful Dr. Christine Maren this week to talk about why gut & thyroid health are linked and how to optimize them both naturally.
Dr. Maren is a board-certified physician and the founder of a virtual functional medicine practice in Colorado, Michigan, and Texas. She is also the co-founder of Hey Mami (pronounced: “Mommy”), a platform dedicated to helping women navigate a healthy and happy motherhood.
Dr. Maren was introduced to functional medicine after struggling with pregnancy complications and recurrent miscarriages. A functional medicine approach helped her address her own underlying health issues associated with gut infections, hypothyroidism, hormone imbalance and mold toxicity. Now a mother of three, she’s devoted her professional life to helping women optimize their health before pregnancy, thrive postpartum and get their lives back.
In this episode, Dr. Maren and I discuss:
- Dr. Maren’s personal journey with thyroid imbalances and recurrent miscarriages
- Your thyroid’s considerable role in regulating stomach acid production, gallbladder function, and motility
- What is SIBO and why is it a problem for 50% of Hashimoto’s patients?
- Why the autoimmune aspect of thyroid dysfunction is critical, but ignored by many doctors
- Why patients with Hashimoto’s and Graves’ need to repair their digestive tract
- Why leaky gut is such a controversial topic and why we still have a lot to understand
- Why does nutrition matter when it comes to thyroid health and how can thyroid patients optimize their diet?
Dr. Maren’s health tip: Exercise! Get your body moving every day.
More About Dr. Christine Maren
Dr. Maren is board-certified by the American Board of Family Medicine and is an Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner (IFMCP). She is a compassionate clinician, speaker, and wellness advocate. She is married to a surgeon and together they balance rewarding careers while raising three beautiful children.
Find out more about her virtual functional medicine practice by visiting www.drchristinemaren.com
Follow Christine Maren, DO IFMCP on Instagram @drchristinemaren for tips on thyroid, gut, and reproductive health.
To learn more about Hey Mami and how it supports women struggling with fertility, postpartum, or are just knee deep in motherhood, head over to www.heymami.com
Connect with Dr. Seth Osgood
Learn more about the GrassRoots Adaptation Program.
I’m giving away a $100 supplement gift card to celebrate the launch of the podcast!
Here’s how to enter:
- Leave a review of the show on Apple Podcasts or your preferred player. (See detailed instructions here if you need them.)
- Email a screenshot of your review to email@example.com
The giveaway closes April 6th, so enter now and tell a friend!
About the Author: Dr. Seth Osgood is a Doctor of Nursing Practice and Institute of Functional Medicine (IFM) Certified Practitioner. Dr. Osgood received his post-graduate training in Functional Medicine through the IFM and from working with Dr. Amy Myers. He has helped people from around the world improve their health utilizing a Functional Medicine approach.
Want to work with Dr. Osgood and the GrassRoots team? Check out our Adaptation Program and book your free discovery call to find out if you’re the right fit.