- Avocado oil, for frying, about 4 cups
- 1 rutabaga
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch Sea Salt (fries)
- 8-10 oz Cod
- 3/4 cup Arrowroot flour (batter)
- 1/2 cup Cassava flour, (batter)
- 1 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp cream of tartar (batter)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (batter)
- 1 tsp onion powder (batter)
- 2 tsp sea salt (batter)
- 1/2 cup Sparkling Water (batter)
- 1/2 cup water (batter)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel the rutabaga and cut into 1/2" fries. Place the fries in a bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil, rosemary, garlic, and salt. Lay flat on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- In a medium size sauce pan, heat avocado oil to, roughly, 320 degrees F. The amount of oil you need will vary dependant on the size of the pot. Ideally, you will have 3” of oil in the pot.
- Mix together dry ingredients for the batter and stir to combine with a whisk. Add 1/2 cup of sparkling water and stir together. Add in 1/2 cup of still water and continue to stir. Add more water if necessary. The batter twill thicken as it sits.
- Cut the cod into 2" wide strips. Dip the fish into the batter, coating on all sides.
- Slowly dip the battered fish into the oil. Do not crowd the pot.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes at 320 degrees, or until the batter is golden brown. Drain on a wire rack, and place on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Serve fries and fish immediately with lemon wedges and enjoy!
© 2023 GrassRoots Functional Medicine