AIP Chow Mein
Category Autoimmune Paleo (AIP) Recipes
- 1lb chicken thigh fillets (or breast), cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 6-8 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 6 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped Note: use packaged coleslaw cabbage mix for a quick cabbage and carrot substitute
Chow Mein Sauce:
- 3 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 3 Tbsp Red Boat fish sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Half and bake spaghetti squash, skin side up, for 30 minutes, or until the outer shell becomes soft. Remove from the oven and remove the “spaghetti” from the outer shell with a fork. Set aside.
- Combine chicken and baking soda in a small bowl and toss to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes, then rinse chicken well and pat dry.
- To make the Chow Mein Sauce mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Pour Chow Mein Sauce over the chicken and set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large wok or large fry pan over high heat.
- Add garlic and stir fry for 5-10 seconds or until the garlic begins to lightly brown.
- Add chicken to the pan and stir fry for about 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until the chicken turns white but still raw inside.
- Next, add in the cabbage, carrot, and the white pieces of scallions. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti squash and remaining Chow Mein Sauce. Stir fry for 1 minute, tossing occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining scallions then quickly remove from heat.
- Serve and enjoy!
© 2023 GrassRoots Functional Medicine